Find out how to change the accessibility settings on your Sky Q box by reading the information below, or watching our help video just here.
Turning on subtitles or audio description
You’ll see S if subtitles are available and AD if audio description is available in the programme information of a show. To turn these on with a Sky Q remote:
While watching TV
- Press ? on your Sky Q remote to bring up accessibility options.
- Select Audio description or Subtitles to change the setting from Off to On.
From the Home screen
- Press Home on your Sky Q remote and select Settings.
- Select Accessibility, then Audio description or Subtitles, and change the setting from Off to On.
If you’re using a Sky Q accessible remote:
- Press the subtitles button to bring up accessibility options on your screen.
- Select Subtitles to change the setting from Off to On.
Please note: Audio description and subtitles are unavailable on the Sky Q app.
If you’ve turned subtitles on but they’re not appearing, check the letter S is in the programme information. Try changing to another subtitled show to see if subtitles are working elsewhere. If they aren’t, restart your Sky Q box:
- Switch your Sky Q box off at the mains.
- Check that both ends of all cables are securely connected.
- Switch your Sky Q box back on at the mains.
- Wait for the onscreen instructions to disappear then press Home on your Sky Q remote.
It may take up to 5 minutes for functions on your Sky Q box to return to normal.
Highlighting audio described or subtitled shows
If you want to see which shows have audio description or subtitles available, you can highlight them in the TV guide. Before you do this, make sure you’ve turned audio description or subtitles on, then:
1. Press Home on your Sky Q remote, and select Settings, then Accessibility.
2. Select Highlight programmes, then select Audio desc. or Subtitles.
Please note: In Sky Box Sets and Sky Cinema, there’s a Subtitled section to help you find shows and movies where subtitles are available. Subtitles are also available for Sky Catch-up content.
Turning Beep on Audio Description on or off
You can choose to hear a beep when you tune into a channel that's showing an audio described show. Make sure you’ve turned audio description on, then:
- Press Home on your Sky Q remote, and select Settings, then select Accessibility.
- Select Beep on Audio Description and select On.
High Contrast Display
You can also now increase the contrast of your Sky Q, select High Contrast from your Accessibility settings and change the background to black. We designed it with input from the Royal National Institute for the Blind, and we hope you like it.